The Marine Environment Research Association – AIMM, is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation founded in Portugal in 2010, focused on the research and conservation of marine species and running an ongoing study of cetaceans in southern Portugal (Algarve). This project aims to obtain baseline information on species occurrence, behaviour and social structure of the local cetacean populations.
Each year, from the 1st of May until the 31st of October, AIMM operates a Dolphin Research Internship Programme during our summer field season. We receive interns of all ages from across the globe to participate in this programme and are currently looking for applicants to fill two Volunteer Research Assistant positions for the forthcoming field season in 2019. You will be joining a small and dedicated team of scientists and researchers to provide vital support to the ongoing success of our data collection and internship programme. All team members and participants share accommodation, house tasks, knowledge and experience in an environmentally friendly and multicultural environment.
Check out the video: Dolphin Marine Research Internship
WHAT WE REQUIRE:
Ideal candidates for this volunteer position will:
- be at least 21 years of age;
- be fluent in English (mandatory) and Portuguese (highly desirable);
- have previous experience with cetaceans and/or marine sciences (mandatory);
- hold a full, manual Driving License, valid in the EU (mandatory);
- have a valid skippers powerboat license and boating experience (highly desirable);
- be able to commit to until the end of the season (October);
- have proven experience in team leadership and group supervision;
- be highly motivated, responsible and organised with genuine attention to details;
- have a friendly, patient and tolerant personality, and be capable of dealing with people from different cultures, beliefs, and backgrounds.
WHAT WE OFFER:
The Research Assistants will participate directly in our fieldwork and will receive training and supervision in species identification, research & data collection methods, photo-identification and the use of GPS and camera equipment. In turn, you will be responsible for supervising the interns while conducting surveys in AIMM’s research vessel, Ketos, and on the commercial dolphin watching boats. You will also have to ensure that data is collected and entered accurately and according to AIMM’s established methodologies. Field days can be long and intense, especially in the peak of summer, but are always fulfilling and good fun!
Additionally, you will also receive 3 meals a day and accommodation in AIMM’s shared research house with all the other members of the team. Each assistant will be entitled to 1 day off per week when you may explore the local area or simply rest with a good book by the pool!
To apply please send CV and motivation letter to email@example.com with the subject “RA Albufeira 2019“.