CIMA Research Foundation is a private non-profit research organization aimed at the advancement of science and engineering in environmentally related fields, focusing on public health and safety, civil protection and the preservation of terrestrial and water-related ecosystems.
CIMA RF is based in Savona, Italy, and it is seeking undergraduate/postgraduate students for the CETASMUS PROGRAM 2014.
General details about the CETASMUS program can be found HERE
In particular open positions refer to two different projects:
FERRIES – this project is held in collaboration with a national ferry company. CETASMUS interns will be on-board of ferries operating between Italy and Corsica / Sardinia at least twice a week and they will be part of the Marine Mammal Observer team working on the ferries
ZIPHIUS – this project is focused on the local Cuvier’s beaked whale population and it foresees surveys in the Ligurian, Corsica and Tyrrhenian Seas onboard of a 18m long dedicated research sailing vessel. Each survey usually last 3-5 consecutive days. CETAMSUS interns will assist researchers with data collection, photo-id as well as actively participating in life on-board.
Successful applicants will be assigned to one of the two projects.
These are full-time positions requiring a 5-months commitment from May through September. Because of the training required, applicants must be willing to commit to the fulltime project: all interns will be trained in cetacean observation and identification, in line-transect survey protocols and photo-identification.
– Applicants must be reliable, motivated and team oriented, have a positive attitude as well as a genuine interest in marine mammal sciences;
– Applicants should possess or be enrolled in a BS or MS course in biology, environmental sciences or a related major;
– Applicants must be adaptable and patient as fieldwork is highly weather dependent. This means a lot of data-entry work during bad weather and long consecutive days in the field when weather permits;
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and previous experience with GIS.
– Previous field experience is preferred.
These positions are an excellent opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students interested in pursuing a career in marine mammal research to strengthen their skills and above all to gain practical experience in the field.
These are unpaid positions and successful applicants are responsible for their own transportation expenses to and from Italy and for accommodation in Savona during the entire staying.
All costs related to at sea surveys will be covered by CIMA RF
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your CV and a cover letter via email to: [email protected]