CIMA Research Foundation is a private non-profit research organization aimed at the advancement of science and engineering in environmentally related fields, focusing on public health and safety, civil protection and the preservation of terrestrial and water-related ecosystems.
CIMA RF is based in Savona,Italy, and it is seeking undergraduate/postgraduate students for the CETASMUS PROGRAM 2019. General details about the CETASMUS program can be found here (http://www.cimafoundation.org/cima-foundation/research-development/cetasmus.html).
CETASMUS foresees two different types of internship:
- Field Internship: aim of the internship is to provide hands on experience on cetacean surveys. Interns will be involved in all the surveys of a specific project. As office work is not foreseen for this type of internship, interns will have free time when not involved in sea surveys. Field internship is particularly indicated for students willing to gain field experience and also needing time to prepare exams or personal projects (without supervision)
- Research Internship: aim of the internship is to provide hands on experience on cetacean research, from data collection at sea to data analysis. Interns will be involved in surveys of their specific project AND will be trained on data-entry and data analysis. Office work can be used for the development of a thesis / internship report. Free time will be agreed directly with supervisor.
We are currently looking for FIELD INTERNS who will join our research expeditions mainly on board of our research vessel. It is possible to apply for one (or both) of the following periods:
Period I : 15 May 2019 – 30 July 2019
Period II : 1 August 2019 – 30 September 2019
Because of the training required, preference will be given to interns applying for both periods (May-September).
– Applicants must have previous field experience in marine mammal surveys.
– Applicants should possess or be enrolled in a BS or MS course in biology, environmental sciences or a related major;
– Applicants must be reliable, motivated and team oriented, have a positive attitude as well as a genuine interest in marine mammal sciences;
– Applicants must be adaptable and patient as fieldwork is highly weather dependent. This means long consecutive days in the field when weather permits while no cruises during bad weather periods;
These positions are an excellent opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students interested in pursuing a career in marine mammal research to strengthen their skills and above all to gain practical experience in the field.
These are unpaid positions and successful applicants are responsible for their own transportation expenses to and from Italy and for accommodation in Savona during the entire staying.
All costs related to sea surveys will be covered by CIMA RF
If you are interested in applying for these positions, please submit your CV and a cover letter with contact information of at least one reference to firstname.lastname@example.org