The Marine Environment Research Association – AIMM – is running an ongoing study of cetaceans in the South of Portugal (Algarve). This project aims to obtain baseline information on species occurrence, behaviour and social structure of the local cetacean populations.
The main species observed are short beaked common dolphin (Delphinus delphis), common bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncates) and harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena); although other species such as minke whale (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) and fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus) can also be sighted.
WHERE: Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal
WHEN: 1st June to 31st October 2014
FIELDWORK & DATA ANALYSIS:
You will primarily be collecting the data on behaviour, group size, species, photo-identification, etc from platforms of opportunity (dolphin watching boats). You will also assist with desk work doing data entering and photo-identification.
Fieldwork is dependent on weather and seat availability in the dolphin watching boats. Field days can be intense, especially in the peak of Summer but are fulfilling and good fun. It will give you field experience in data collection and photo-identification.
Interns are EXPECTED to:
- Be above the age of 16
- Have a mature attitude towards marine mammal research
- Be autonomous and quickly operational
- Be able to live and work with other members of an international team. All interns share everyday duties and chores with the other team members
- Speak fluent Portuguese and/or English
- Participate for minimum 1 week
No previous experience is required, however preference will be given to those who have:
- Relevant marine mammal field experience
- Working experience on research vessels
- Experience working from dolphin/whale watching platforms
- Experience in photo-identification
- Professional cameras that can be used for photo-ID
- Availability to stay for longer periods of time
LIVING & COSTS:Interns are required to pay a fee of 400€ per week to cover all living expenses (accommodation, transport to/from the marina and food). The intern is responsible for his own transportation to and from Albufeira.
DEADLINE AND APPLICANTIONS:
Applicants should send an e-mail with the subject “INTERNSHIP” with:
- A small introduction, qualifications, previous experience and a brief explanation why they would like to work with AIMM
Applications will be accepted during all season, however, early application is recommended.