The Marine Environment Research Association – AIMM – is running an ongoing study of cetaceans in the South of Portugal (Algarve). This project aims to obtain baseline information on species occurrence, behaviour and social structure of the local cetacean populations.
The main species observed are short beaked common dolphin (Delphinus delphis), common bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncates) and harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena); although other species such as minke whale (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) and fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus) can also be sighted.
WHERE: Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal
WHEN: 1st May to 31st October 2014
FIELDWORK & DATA ANALYSIS:
As a research assistant, you will be:
- collecting the data on behaviour, group size, species, photo-identification, etc from platforms of opportunity (dolphin watching boats);
- assisting with desk work doing data entering and photo-identification;
- helping in the management of the internship participants
Fieldwork is dependent on weather and seat availability in the dolphin watching boats. Field days can be intense, especially in the peak of Summer but are fulfilling and good fun.
Research assistants are EXPECTED to:
- Be above the age of 18
- Have a mature attitude towards marine mammal research
- Be autonomous and quickly operational
- Be able to live and work with other members of an international team. All team members share everyday duties and chores
- Speak fluent Portuguese and/or English
- Participate for minimum 1 month
- Have previous experience in the area
Preference will be given to those who have:
- Relevant marine mammal field experience
- Working experience on research vessels
- Experience working from dolphin/whale watching platforms
- Experience in photo-identification
- Professional cameras that can be used for photo-ID
- Availability to stay for longer periods of time
LIVING & COSTS:Research assistants will be responsible for their own living expenses except accommodation and transport to/from the marina, i.e. food and personal expenses. The research assistant is responsible for his own transportation to and from Albufeira.
DEADLINE AND APPLICANTIONS:
Applicants should send an e-mail with the subject “RESEARCH ASSISTANT POSITION” with:
- A small introduction, qualifications, previous experience and a brief explanation why they would like to work with AIMM
Successful applicants will be contacted to arrange an interview.
Applications will be accepted during all season, however, early application is recommended due to limited vacancies.
For more informations check the internship information on the website. Duties differ between interns and research assistant but everything else applies to both.