Seal Rescue Ireland is a very busy marine animal rescue and rehabilitation facility located in Courtown, Co. Wexford. It is the only seal rehabilitation facility in the Republic of Ireland and responds
to strandings nationwide. Most distressed seal calls are Grey and Common Seal pups which have been wounded, orphaned or sick. The facility is currently accepting applications for starting in the
Spring/ Summer 2018 Season. This is a full time position that is unpaid for a minimum of 6 months.
There is the option of getting room and board provided based upon taking on extra responsibilities. Reports to: Animal Care Manager and Hospital Operations Manager
Job Summary: This management position will be a responsible individual who will assist in supervising programs, interns/volunteers, daily husbandry of animals in care, and take on necessary
office duties to keep the centre running when the Animal Care Manager is off duty.
He or she will also work closely with the Hospital Operations Manager in all aspects involved in running a wildlife
hospital. This position is split between working with the animals and working on administrative tasks in
the office. Additionally, assistance in collaborating and coordinating various educational and fundraising programs is required. If interested, selected assistant managers will be responsible for overseeing the intern accommodation in exchange for free room and board.
Requirements: Applicants must have a background or interest in areas of study such as Pre-Vet, Biology, Zoology, or other applicable animal field. Previous work with marine mammal rehabilitation is
Applicants MUST be comfortable operating Microsoft office programs, public speaking, giving direction/teaching, being organized and self-motivated. Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to maneuver around the exhibits and holding areas, and must be able to comfortably lift 25 kilograms. Applicants must possess the ability to adapt to an ever-changing work environment,
and be available to work long hours, nights, weekends and holidays. Must be 25 or older and possess a full clean driver’s license that is valid in Ireland.
• Supervise, recruit, and train interns and volunteer
• Coordinate releases and other conservation events
• Management of Seal Records Database
• Responsible for managing specific programs within the organization
• Responsible for hospital inventory and stock checks
• Supervising and participating in daily animal diet preparations, routine cleaning of enclosures,
giving medical treatments, tube feeding, and maintenance of the grounds
• Overseeing medical treatment plans and upgrading animals and diets with other managers
• Assist and coordinate rescue of stranded animals including assisting with the rescue hotline.
• Participate in educational talks and tours.
• Supervise, maintain, and update seal records. Applying for rehab licenses as needed.
• Provide assistance to the Director and rehabilitation staff as needed.
• Assisting with fundraisers, educational events, clerical duties and office work as needed
• Representing Seal Rescue Ireland at networking events
This is an unpaid position. Housing is available at 85 Euro/Week (includes food) if desired and there
may be possibilities of getting free housing if willing to additionally take on the house manager role.
Managers are responsible for all travel expenses.
Send a resume and cover letter and available dates to: Attention: Animal Care Manager
Position firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: 053 942 4980 www.sealrescueireland.org